Inclusion Alberta strongly encourages all individuals with developmental disabilities to apply for the Disability Tax Credit (DTC) and start a Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP). They are two important tools that can provide short-term and long-term financial benefits.  

Our RDSP/DTC Coordinator is available for group workshops and individual meetings throughout the province both virtually and in-person. These services are available free of charge. We can help with: 

  • Applying for the Disability Tax Credit 
  • Going to the bank to support individuals in opening an RDSP 



Did you know that only about 40% of eligible Canadians are using the Disability Tax Credit on their income tax returns?  

The Disability Tax Credit was designed to reduce the amount of income tax that an individual with a disability (or their supporting family member) pays each year, helping cover the extra costs incurred by those with ‘severe or prolonged mental or physical impairments’. The DTC not only gives tax savings, but is also the qualifier for many other benefits such as the Canada Workers Benefit Disability Supplement and the Registered Disability Savings Plan 

Who can apply for the Disability Tax Credit? 

Qualifying for the DTC isn’t dependent on whether someone can work or go to school, nor their income or assets. An individual’s health professional (doctor, OT, psychologist, etc) must say that they have a severe and prolonged impairment, which can be mental or physical, and has lasted or will last at least one year.  

How to apply for the Disability Tax Credit: 

Our RDSP/DTC Coordinator is available if you require more information or help applying for the DTC: info@inclusionalberta.org or 1-800-252-7556. If you’d prefer to do this on your own, you can apply for the DTC by paper form or online. 

Helpful resources about the Disability Tax Credit: 



You do not need to contribute money in order to receive government contributions! 

The Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) was created by the federal government as a long-term savings plan for people with disabilities. The sooner an individual or a family can begin their RDSP, the more money they will save for the future. Even if you are unable to contribute anything yourself, simply by opening an RDSP account the government will contribute money into the plan to be used by you later in life. An RDSP can be opened up until the year in which you turn 59, and you can receive government contributions until the end of the year you turn 49 (so opening early is key!). Once the individual turns 60, they can start withdrawing money from the RDSP. Income from an RDSP will not affect other disability benefits such as AISH. 

Who can open up a Registered Disability Savings Plan? 

To have an RDSP, you must: 

  • be a Canadian resident  
  • have a Social Insurance Number   
  • be approved for the Disability Tax Credit 
  • open your RDSP by December 31 of the year they turn 59  
  • parents or legal guardians can set up an RDSP for a minor 

You can open an RDSP at the financial institution or bank of your choosing. Our RDSP/DTC Coordinator is available if you require more information or help wading through the process of setting up an RDSP: info@inclusionalberta.org or 1-800-252-7556. 

Helpful resources on Registered Disability Savings Plans: 


Contact us today for more information and help setting up your Disability Tax Credit and Registered Disability Savings Plan:

info@inclusionalberta.org or 1-800-252-7556.